DAIRY OF A SUNDAY CHURCH WANDERER (4}

 

Hello everyone, my name is Ubulaba and I am just a Sunday Christian and a wanderer who have no church to call home. Nothing to be proud of, someday, I hope to change.

***

Dear Dairy,

The rays from today sun, shone and penetrated through the windscreen to my eyes, the scorching heat from the sun too was unbearable. It was a Sunday after all.

‘Driver, your AC no dey work?’ I asked the driver.

‘Madam no vex’ He responded.

He quickly wound up the windows and turned on the AC.

The cab started to cool but the sun rays did not stop shining into my eyes. I picked my sunglasses from my bag and wore it. I took off my hat so my head would cool too.

I visited a church very far away from home because I did not want rumours going round in the neighbourhood that I am a church wanderer.

Thank God for Google and Google map, it made the wandering an easy one. I saw one church online with a really beautiful architecture design. I read a few things about them and It seemed like my dream church so I made up my mind to attend. Well, it could be have my final destination if I had hurriedly left in my normal way but I stayed behind and I learnt some new things.

One of the pastors announced that the youth pastor would like to have a brief meeting with all the youth. So I stayed back for the group discussion. Who knows, it could be preparation for a youth hangout or shared bonding experience or even a party, I thought to myself. I did not want to miss such a wonderful opportunity.

I was further convinced when I saw the youth pastor. He was dandy. He wore a well ironed grey suit pants and pink shirt. The lines on his shirt were sharp and aligned so well with that of his trousers. He was hairy too. A mild afro with plenty moustache. One could tell he was well built even in suits. I liked him instantly. He was fondly called Pastor B.

I was lost in my staring when he called my attention. I could not believe it. I did not realized that they have even finished praying.

‘Young lady, this must be your first time here.’ He kept a straight face.

‘Yes sir,’ I replied

‘So what department do you think is the least unit in the church?’

He asked me

‘Hmm…follow …up department’ I stammered

‘No, I mean, Children department’ I added

‘No , I am sure this time, It is sanitation department’ I said confidently

 I looked at everyone and I knew from their looks that I was on track.

The pastor called for anyone with contrary or supporting opinions.

One brother that dressed like a missionary stood up and he said he totally agreed with me. He explained why he thought sanitation department was the last. Other youth buttressed his points and few others supported that the least was children department and follow up.

I don’t know if I should call it preaching or saying, but Pastor B said the following.

The least unit in the church is obvious. It is obvious from the way we brush them aside with our big suits like mine, or step on their work with our heels on Sunday and turn our heads aside every time we see them, as if they actually do not exist.

But what is least may actually not be the least.

He read a portion from Acts of Apostle chapter 6, about those who were called to serve table.

They were the least in the actual sense, they served and possible clear up after sharing but among these people, rose up Philip and Stephen who spread the gospel to the gentiles.

The least department in church might be the pastors, might be me or you in departments who do the work of God, in whatever capacities with the least of God.

A pastor that rarely fasts, prays or study the word fervently but frequently mounts on the pulpit is the least worker compare to the sanitation worker that does his work wholeheartedly with the spirit of God.

He ended by saying,

Head Pastor said he need some some youths to join the sanitation and children departments as most of the workers there are old people. So far, no youth have indicated interest. Almost of you are in be choir and ushering department where you will be seen.

Now who is going to follow Pastor B to Sanitation department and Sister Gloria to children’s department?

Everyone looked at one another. Nobody wanted to go.

He picked 14 youths, me inclusive, He divided them into two groups. I fell into Sanitation unit that out to resume next week Sunday. All I can say is it is well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LOVE, NOT LOVE SONGS

100 reasons you should not date or marry someone in the same church with you

Three weeks in Rivers state camp: the pains, the pleasures and the love affairs