DAIRY OF A SUNDAY CHURCH WANDERER (8)

 Hello everyone, my name is Ubulaba and I am just a Sunday Christian who tours round churches every Sunday and hope to settle down soon. Nothing to be proud of, someday, I hope to change. 

Dear Dairy,

 In a busy city like Lagos with the hustling and bustling of many activities, one barely have time to really think about somethings. 

I took another look at Mr. Emeka’s Invitation on my email and thought about it again. The reality God’s goodness hit me like a ton of rocks. I was in awe of how God puts one on delay and when hope seems lost, he shows up in triples. 

Mr. Emeka, one of my bosses in the office and his wife have been married for twenty years with no issues. He was a good looking man, well to do and women were always around him. He could have had any woman of his choice but he never did. 

When God showed up, he showed up with three beautiful and adorable children.


  

What better place would I rather wander on a Sunday than his church with a special invitation. It was also another opportunity for my friend, Chioma to host me. I loved every bit of the treatment I got in her apartment from after work on Friday till Sunday.

 Chioma and I ordered an Uber cab to the church after many hours of make up and change of shoes ceremonies to match the aso -ebi we were to wear. When we arrived at the address, it was a small church compared to the name of the church. 

It was also small compared to all the large churches I have heard about and I have seen on the Island. Yet the carpark still had top and latest car brands in different sizes and colours. By the cars, you could tell the type of people that attended the church. It was a small but mighty church. 

Inside the church had lot and lot of amazing art works on the wall, Scriptures in art, beautifully crafted with extraordinary wisdom to make one memorize and remember scripture instantly. There were golden rectangular structures about 50 cm long with holes in their centres at specific areas inside the church hall. 

‘Chioma, please what are those?’ I asked . ‘There are offering baskets.’ She replied. I opened my mouth and closed it back immediately. God punish poverty o.

 The service was extraordinary. The pastor preached on biblical sources of wealth. It was as if he knew what has been on my mind. The things I’ve been seeing on the island lately in Lagos have made me uncomfortable in my current condition. I refuse to be a poor Christian. I have been wondering where I could see a source to be wealth and I was amazed that the pastor pointed that there were sources in Scriptures. 

For the first time in a long while, I really listened to a whole sermon with rapt attention. One thing he spoke about that I’ve never taken seriously was relationship. He said that abundance of great relationships were equivalent to great wealth. ‘Some of you are terrible at maintaining great relationship; to call is problem, wish or buy birthday gifts for a person is like a burden and to even ask a friend, how they are doing is headache and you want to be wealthy?’ He continued. ‘No matter how good you are are, it can take just one relationship to bring you before a great man and that can be your source of wealth, ask Joseph, ask David and ask the rich widow that helped Elijah’. He added. 

He encouraged us to hangout with the wealthy, to spend time with them, to help the, without expecting their money and especially those of the household of faith. His words pierced the marrows of my conscience. Ha!!! I hated anything that had to do with ships, not to talk about maintaining one.

 *******

 When it was time for the dedication, all of us from the office came out in our aso-ebi- men in agbada and ladies in gele. 



Chioma and I had on our heads these canopy like geles ,we stylisly used to push any member of the church that wanted to stay at the back of the couples. We’re the office force that forcefully came out in full force that morning. Ladies in front, men at the back .

 The choristers knew just the right songs to sing and the instrumentalists followed suit. We were the centre of attraction and they gave us the attention. ****** After service., the party continued at Emeka’s house. Speaking of the triplets, they were adorable. A boy and two girls, Ikechukwu, Ogechukwu and Amarachukwu. 


It was a beautiful Sunday to remember. Happy Sunday. How’s church service today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LOVE, NOT LOVE SONGS

100 reasons you should not date or marry someone in the same church with you

Three weeks in Rivers state camp: the pains, the pleasures and the love affairs