BUCKETLIST: PLANS VERSES REALITIES

                                                                          BUCKET LIST: PLANS VERSES REALITIES

Happy new month, new week, new Monday, new newness dear readers. I am super duper excited and expectant about this month. Are you?
Well, let me show you something to start the month.
Seat belt on, car starts,  are you ready!!!
Before I show you, let us talk about this bucket list thingy first. 
Just so you know, a bucket list is a list that contains some necessary stuff you are crazy about doing within a specific time. Some experts say it's a list of things you want to do before you kick the bucket (die), seriously, I am not ready to die so why should I have a list of things I want to do before I die? So that is why my definition stands for me-a bucket list is a list that contains some necessary stuff you're crazy ( deliberate, intentional, obsessed)  about doing within a specific time.
It is the third day in the month of June although it seemed like last night I wished my folks a happy new year. No doubt, 2019 is running at its own pace while we run our own race. How well have you gone? Where are the new year resolutions? Where is your bucket list? You know, You can achieve a whole lot when you write out your visions, plans, better still, God's plan for your life at different seasons. Remember, Habakkuk 2:2, write the vision, make it plain upon tables, that may run that readeth it. Also “It symbolizes your dreams and values and requires a balance of reason and intuition, which taps into your sense of purpose of life.†
–Dr. Samuel Fassig

I celebrated my birthday three weeks ago, after all the prayers, messages, epistles, fun and party, I  went in search of my bucket list (A 4 page worn out with wrinkles of folded lines A4 papers) that I wrote about 6 years ago. It contains 100 things I will like to achieve in 10 years. Well, taking a look at the list, I can relate well with my folks who always say ' How time flies'. So while I had my plans in the paper, a  reality too had plans to shock me. Little wonder, scriptures say, many are the plans in a person's heart but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails (Proverbs 19:21).

A bucket list is something everyone should have but not necessarily.

A good bucket list is balanced. There should be items on the list that are easy to accomplish as you grow from a child to an adult. Such as getting a full-time job and pay your own rent.

This past year there’s been a growing trend of people creating what’s known as a “reverse bucket list”.

Essentially this is when instead of writing a list of things you want to do in life, you create a list of things you’ve already done.

The idea is to help you realize that you’ve done more than you think. It’s a great way to be thankful for those experiences, rather than frustrated at the things we haven’t done.

Plus, we all like to take a minute and appreciate everything we’ve already accomplished, right?
So where it's my reverse bucket list or a normal bucket... it's still a bucket list.

In the last 6 years, many things have changed and somehow some stuff on my list has become not so relevant, hence I edited it over time. The list which originally had just 10 items became 100 when I got bored of it. So far, I have been able to achieve some and here are the tick offs:

1.       Know my genotype
Knowing my genotype was essential to me. I have heard stories of uninformed couples whose children bore the consequences of their ignorance. A family member who is a victim of this told me that ignorance of this kind is deadly. Know it now before love catches you with it love is blind tales. This will help you also know whom to get married to, what to avoid and to embrace in your  body system

2.       Know my blood group
It was also essential to me. Do you know if you belong to a particular blood group and you dare commit abortion and do not take an injection thereafter, to fight the antigen in your blood you may never be able to conceive again? I do not know this medical  thingy well but your doctor should be to explain more

3.       Know my HIV status
That was really scary. Having it is not the end of the world. The earlier you do, the better for you especially if you are very sexually active. It is advisable you do it more than once to ensure clarity in the result. Health is wealth so its best your health related matters always matter in your bucket list.


4.       Get baptized by water
I am Christian and it is necessary I do it when I get to the age of accountability.
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

5.       Read the entire Bible at least 10 times
I did not just read it, I studied it. Mehn…I was amazed at some things I discovered. You really may not understand some things in Judges, 1st and 2nd Samuel and Kings until you read the book of Leviticus and Deuteronomy. The books of the Bible are so inter-related. There were days I will read the Bible a certain time and I was not hungry for the whole day. It's the real bread of life. It takes determination and grace of God to study some of the books in the Bible.  Well, at first the reason for this was to get an A  in a national Bible related exam. I did and I got a life too.


6.        Get baptized by the Holy Spirit

7.        Have 300 in Jamb
Damn!!! With my mother's threat of selling tomatoes and pepper if didn't pass JAMB and enter uni that year, 400 should have been my target. I had something close to that and I had the highest score in my Jamb centre.

8.       Enter Uni the Merit list
I didn't want to see whether my mom's threats were real or not. I am a proud alumnus of the prestigious University of Lagos


9.       Graduate with first class honours
Sadly! I didn’t. My grades almost got drowned in a lagoon at some point. I narrowly escaped depression but God saw me through. I didn't finish with the first class but I finished well.
10. Have a mentor and be a mentor to Someone
Simply because life is crazy and you need someone that’s been through it madness to help you learn to deal with its craziness. I do not mean that celebrity that you admire from afar and you do not even have their personal number or mail to reach them when you need their help.
An email from one of my mentors

11.       Work where God wants me to work

You should add ‘always’ there. I had a dream place to work and I was willing to do anything to get myself there. I wasted 70% of my savings, lost my phone in the process and attended countless interviews with my strong head. Then God spoke on that particular job. It was nothing close to my dream job and I was upset about it but I had to obey.  I'm glad I did. It paid off and paid well. I have come to understand that no matter how much I earn if I am not working where God will have me work I may not have peace. So it is in my own best interest to just obey.
12.       Contest for three political posts while in school
So my plan was to contest for one in my departmental level, another at my faculty level and the last at the University level. I wanted to correct some negative things I saw happening at those levels and prove to myself that I can be a good politician. God had other and better plans for me. I was only able to contest and win one. I LEARNT FROM THAT EXPERIENCE THAT POLITICS IS FOR THE STRONG HEARTED AND PEOPLE WHO WILL DROP THEIR MORALS FOR THE NEEDFUL. Whether that's bad or not, it's left for you to decide. 

13.       Participate in cooking competitions
I’ve participated in about 7 cooking competitions and I am the still open to participating because cooking is what I enjoy doing. I do not just want to be champion in my kitchen, I want to compete with globally. What do you love doing?

14.       Wake up at most 6 am irrespective of the time I went to bed.
At a point in my life, I realized I could sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep even on water. I could sleep more than 12 hours in a day. So let us do this calculation. If I sleep at least  12 hours a day by the time I will be 30, how many years would I have slept away? Now, Imagine a 15 years old child who knows nothing. With my current job, I get up 4-5 am daily. I sleep at a lot in the Afternoon and my weekend is for living the scripture 'God giveth his beloved sleep'. I can not come and die because of lack of sleep. 
15.       The date the P G.O.D guy
Well…#lipssealed.  Hmm… unseal and whispers ‘ No greater feeling than mutual love.
16.       Go to a club
I was just curious to find out what people do there and sacrifice their nights for. Now, my definition of a club is not where I go to and dance and come back exhausted as if I went to the farm. I like to dance but ... Anyways, My definition of club is somewhere like Ikoyi  club, Farm city, Unusual cuisine, turn ups  etc…where I can have really big rich delicious well seasoned and garnished smoked catfish with plantain or Irish potato🥔 chips with peppered sauce or a bowl of spicy peppered snails with a cold bottle of Chi exotic (pineapple and coconut flavour) or Fanta or any exotic drink. Then listen to some good music and network or chit chat with my chocolate charming.

17.       Always seat in front or middle of the class from second semester,200 level
I noticed smart people sit there and there are fewer distractions in front of the lecturer. This was geared towards helping me graduate with a first class.


18.       Always go to church with my 3B’s and use them effectively.
God speaks and I do not want to forget. My Bible, Book and Biro must always be handy


19.       Tell Someone about Christ daily and sincerely compliment what I find attractive
Compliments are acts of appreciation and they go a long way. 
20.       Write my plans for a new day the night before.

I did this a lot in 2016 but now I need prayers of repentance. 

21.       Be an active worker in church and fellowship.

I enjoy working for my master. As God is the best employer ever. He understands our strengths and weaknesses, give good pay and still add a bonus of mercy and Grace on top. 

22.       Have a [food] blog
I enjoy writing and cooking. So I thought a food blog will be a good place for me to express what I enjoy. I do not have a food blog and I have not concluded on how I can manage it so I will keep blogging here. 

23.       Always be 15 minutes early for my classes, church services, events and interviews.
This was very easy to adhere to deliberately while in University. Continuing with it has been a tug of war. Sometimes, I do not even have power over the strong forces that delay me. But I will add this to my next bucket list.


24.       READ 10 HOURS DAILY FOR A WHOLE MONTH.

(6 hours for books, 1 hour for Bible, 1 hour for research, 1 hour for newspaper and 1 hour for my likes). Someone once said that if you want to see further, then climb on the shoulders of a giant. Books are a means of achieving that.

25.       BE OFFLINE 2 MONTHS  A YEAR, 2YEARS IN 10 YEARS

This not need to be a bucket list because it is a habit already. The internet can be a very big distraction so it is best to use my head sometimes. It saves me data, money and helps me build better one to one relationship.  Funny thing is I use to have FOMO  but when I come back online, I find out I have not missed much.

26.       HELP FRIENDS IN PLANNING THEIR PARTIES
I love parties; the drinks, the food, the decorations, the music and the games and putting up all these together can be a big pain in the ass so I just always to help my friends out with this ( all for free). I am glad I did this for plenty of my friends while in Uni.

27.       Build my food brand
I realised you never finish building a brand. Just when you think you've hit the market with your brand, your competitors come and shake the tables for you, hoping they break it on your head. Be alert!!! Keep building. However,  I have done some necessary things…but I am still building it. To be added to my next bucket list.

28.       Organise a picnic for two and have fun

I had it sometimes in December 2016 in Victoria Garden City Park. It was so beautiful. I and my friend had a horrible pizza, I can never forget that pizza. It had plenty of chicken but it was just not sweet, it's bland. Thankfully, the pizza company called me while we were eating and asked for feedback. I was trying to be honest with my feedback but my friend wouldn't me. We simply told them to improve the taste. They are closed down by the way. They will most definitely come back when they learn to make good pizzas. I say so because they are passionate about their food quality. We also had  Cold drinks and snacks and fruits. We played some fun games and we listed. Trust me, I never run out of gist when I'm in an extreme mood. When I'm not, I'm the quietest girl ever!!! My friends Ayo, Oge and Brother Joseph will most definitely put all their money to say it's not true😅🤣🤣. Na them Sabi!!!. I have enjoyed other great picnics too, not organized by me though...my best was at Lekki Conservation Centre and Atican beach. Those places are excellent choices if you're thinking of having a picnic anytime soon.

29.       Go for a late night movie

Late nights outings were forbidden when growing up so for it is a kind of an adventure. I can’t count the numbers of times I did it, It was really fun and a whole different experience from the day time movie. I tried it out by myself for starters. The rain showed me pepper that night though. I trekked and trekked in the rain after the movie before I could see a cab. I was shivering when I got back to my hostel. I had to stay indoors for some days before I recovered from it. Another one I can never forget was with a  friend. We didn't even confirm if the cinema was showing a movie, and were greatly disappointed when we got there.  Ha!!! My fine clothes couldn't waste like that night more it's too late to go back home. So we hung out somewhere else. I was freaking tired by morning. Then the most recent one was with my big brother. He took his girlfriend and I to see the movie - The Mule at the Genesis Cinema in Novare mall.  He got me this big carton of popcorn I couldn't finish and fantasy ( my favourite). We went for some nice icecream thereafter at Cold Stone. The taste was pure bliss. We settled for some pizzas thereafter. Believe when I tell you, the pizza was nothing to write up about. The dough was too dry, the chicken too dry and the veggies too dry. When people say this pizza taste like bread and stew, if mine was like bread and stew, I would even be happy. Mine taste like they added cough syrup. Now imagine eating fluffy dry bread with dry veggies, dry shredded chicken and cough syrup! We were given a sauce though, the sauce gave the pizza some good flavours. Well, aside from the pizza, it's a great outing with my brother doing loving up with girlfriend here and there. I got to famz and know her more. Big bro this is me using style to tell you we should hang out again soon. I have missed you and your darling, beautiful, admirable, sensational and smart girlfriend. I look forward to the wedding! 


30.       Learn a memory verse daily for two months straight
I do not have to wait till Sunday school or Bible before I can learn memory verses

31.       Organise a get-together

32.       Earn a living while in School


33.       Participate in a debate.

Enough of crayfish arguments, it is wastage of time, saliva and energy. So I moved from arguing to debating. The British parliamentary style of debating is even more fascinating. I pained me I did this only once in Uni.

34.       Participate in other competitions

35.       Throw a surprise party for someone and get birthday gift personally (not my office) for a someone monthly a year straight. 
 It was not easy. Especially remembering people's birthday. 

36.       Celebrate my birthday with the less privileged every year…

I only did this once with my roommates in year one. I can never forget it. My remaining birthdays are either too choking for me to make out time for it or I am about writing an exam.

37.       COMMUNE WITH GOD daily.

It is essential because he is my maker, father, friend and beautifier.

38.       Try new recipes every new week, three months in a row.

This is so as to improve my culinary skills. I enjoyed every bit of it. I learnt from the videos I bought an online and offline. I also learnt and I'm learning from my friends and family that can cook fire. Frank taught me how to cook Chinese sauce with Nigeria goodness of chunks of ringdodo and offal.  Kenny taught me to make that mad ass Yoruba rice. As simple as that rice is, it makes me eat like a glutton especially when it's combined with Tobi delicious peppery gizzard sauce ( which she also taught me). Ayo taught to cook and by force by fire eat ginger spaghetti. Guess who's missing her food now...me! Aunty P recently taught me to make onions rice but I'm yet to try it out on my own.  Aunty A taught me to make giz dodo the restaurant way. My big brother is a mad ass chef...like he came around on my birthday with nice hot seafood coconut rice with plenty chicken specially made by him and for me. He made this for-riro with nut oil and a different vegetable. He used a totally different method and I was just salivating the aftermath of all the kitchen paparazzi. By the time the food was ready, I'm sure I was the one who ate the most.  Then my mom and big mom are pro chefs. They taught me food and I was captivated by it all. Ha!!! With all these people in my life and some I didn't mention, I'm a learner.

39.       Use my {spiritual} gifts for the (growth) of the body of Christ.

By doing so, I have even learnt more and I have been blessed in ways I never imagined. For instance, It was while I was serving as the welfare coordinator the Holy Spirit enlightened me on how to make sandwiches in particular way and GOD be the glory, I have even supplied these sandwiches to companies and over 500 students for breakfast and the reward is overwhelming. 

40.   Live a Christlike life(WWJD?)

I have not stopped living it.  It is not even easy. Remembering the apostles were first called Christians in by the people of Antioch who we're not even Christian tells me something. They were Christ-like. They carried the power of God. So I do not want to be identified as Christian because I go to a particular church. I want to be identified as one because I am living as Christ would. Ha!!! And it's not a beans picking or beans cooking a thing. It's serious work. I pray grace will always be supplied for me, you and us to like Christ would in Jesus name. Amen. 

41.   Start an assignment I am given that same day and finish latest a day before submission

That gave me ample time to do neatly done assignment, not the regular copy and paste. Tah!!! But I was very much unfaithful with this to be sincere. Damm!!! I had so much on my plate that's running over. However, I was deliberate and intentional about it at some point.

42.   Listen to the radio more and watch less Tv. 
I love listening to the radio. My best radio stations are Radio Continental, inspirational Fm and Wazobia. I feel in love with one-midnight show at a time. Damn!!! It's from 12-4am. I don't even know it's still alive. The name is 'Whispers of the early morning' with the blunt love crazy doctor. Hahaha!!! Daniel Akpata... bestest host ever!!!
 Trust me...this kind of show, I save some airtime to call. Then another radio show I enjoy is Sharing life issues with Aunt Landa on Inspirational FM.  I love inspirational FM news too. Then my best!!! Soni Irobor Live.  I love and enjoy all the Wazobia FM programs. The Pidgin is truly Nigeria. I like the pour cold water thingy on callers too. I love the radio. So much power invoices with faces. 
   Fast for a month straight yearly
With my church yearly fasting, it's easier to do. 

44.   Befriend a stranger
Put a smile on someone's face, in their heart and build a good friendship thereafter if it's necessary. In my friend's tone, 'It's a small world'. 

45.   Do not go online (social networks) until I am done with all I have set out to do for the day.

That was then, like 2 years ago when I used to go online too long and too much. It's annoyingly distracting.  Now I work online and I work with the distractions that come with it. 

46.   Write my plans for every new day the night before.

I helped me focus. I should  repeat this often 

47.   Go on a blind date.

I got myself and my date lost in the middle of somewhere. Thankfully, we found another place for a decent date in sunny weather. Do not do this if you are not sure of the type of person your date is.

48.   Ride a horse

I can never forget this. My eyes were teary and my heart was in my mouth. I almost fainted. Why? I had equinophobia and more so the horse was galloping with me towards the ocean. 

49.   Go on a roller coaster ride

It was scary!!! My epinephrine was at its peak!  I don’t think I have ever screamed like that in my life

50.   Volunteer

51.   Read books, books and books
So far, I have read about (hmmm). They include;
1. Blue Ocean Strategy by W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne
2. BUSINESS, the ultimate resource
3. Who moved my cheese
4. Outfoxing the small business owners by Gene Marks
5. The 7. Star Employee by Ifeanyi Onyemere
6. Rich Dad, Poor Dad
7. Harvard Business Review: Spotlight on Innovation
8. Harvard Business Review: How to make it to the Top
9. Harvard Business Review: Social Media and the new rules of branding
10. Harvard Business Review: Leadership from the Military
Etc. 


52.   Wear skirts one week straight

53.   Wear trousers one week straight

54.   Wear gowns one week straight
Simply because I wanted to change my wardrobe and go for my clothes I'm comfortable in wearing and suit my body as well. 


55.   Write to newspapers and magazines
I have not written for a long time. 

56.   Cook a special meal for members of my family. 

57.   Cook a special meal for (a) friend(s)

       58.   Attend really big shows, art exhibitions and watch live dramas at theatres

Yeah! I did. An overnight show at that! It's great. I laughed all nights and by morning, all my body was aching me. I even went on my own and I had fun too. I look forward to the Calabar carnival. I just hope I do. 
I like the arts too

59.   Help people save their money and build on their (dream) business or desire.
I did this under the platform of Investor Savings.com from 2014- 18 which I ran. There, we saved money, give out loans and with our savings, we either start up our business, buy something we've always wanted or invested in other people's business.

60.   Help a child that is not related to me with his/ her assignments.

61. Work in a restaurant as a chef and as a waiter. 
I got the waiter job and the working hours and pay were outrageous. So that's how I worked in a food company. The job I did there was more than a chef and waiter own.  But I enjoyed it. 

                            62. Bond more with my family members ( close and extended)
Blood is thicker than water. We may fight, quarrel and even stay miles apart but the truth is when some life challenges, it's only your family members that will be there for you. 
63. Celebrate my birthday every year!!!



When there is life, there is hope. This is simply me been than celebrating God's faithfulness in my life. 
64. Forgive and let go of offences

65. Love, love and love 


66. Contribute to  Nigeria development
We do not all have to be a governor or president or politician to do it. As little as not littering the road, we are contributing. 


I have adjusted the list over time.  Looking out now, most of those tick off were done while still in school.  Other things I could not do while in school was travelling, not faithfully sticking with what will stuff and not participating in scholarship exams and getting some things I really wanted to.  Lol...looking at the list there were not so serious items right😁? 4 years more to go and I don't think I want to continue with the remaining 39. I want to be serious but they are too weighty. So I'm doing a yearly bucket list ATM. No pressure Biko! But one thing I will want to do is a mountain.  I have been hearing people's mountain and dessert encounter and testimonies. I'm desiring to go. I want to experience it myself and even feel the feeling and have my own testimony.  I can't wait to gist you all about it.  

So here are my tips when having a bucket list: 
1. It's not a do or die affair. You'll be disappointed. You'll be disappointed. You'll be disappointed. Sorry, I meant you may be disappointed so you better don't get into a depression like I also did
2. Be flexible. Trust me...God will shake your tables. Infact...you list may go missing in a long time so God will remind you of his many blessings.  So you better don't settle for less. God plans overrides all. 
3. Be creative and add some fun stuff to it. Reward yourself for little accomplishments. It will Ginger you to want to do more
4. God will never allow you some things on your list. That's a big reality. There was something on my bucket list I've always desired. The day I did it, I lie not... something in the spiritual change. I never should. Never do anything God will never approve
5. You don't need a bucket list to get things done. Discipline is key. 

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and he will establish your plans. Proverbs 16:3

Written By Munu Ogheneochuko



 If you enjoyed reading this, then you should read
3. The short man sermon

Remember that all your comments matters. Please drop as many as you can 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LOVE, NOT LOVE SONGS

100 reasons you should not date or marry someone in the same church with you

Three weeks in Rivers state camp: the pains, the pleasures and the love affairs